cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outboard Boat, Motor and Trailer

Phrogflyer
Contributor

I have always wanted to make a working outboard motor and finally got one started.  It was more of a challenge than I had thought it would be.  Finding a tiny electric motor to go inside and then coming up with gearing to slow the RPM's and to fit into the lower unit was a feat to be reckoned with.  Then making the boat made making the motor seem easy.  I had to design ribs from the stern transom to the bow and then to plank them in compound curves.  All the while trying to incorporate a steering mechanism, a tilt plate for the motor and a place to hide the battery.  I used every tool in my Dremel arsenal.  My moto-tool & drill press, my moto-saw, my router table and my versa tool.  The boat is made of 1/16" hobby ply and covered with walnut veneer.  Decorations on the boat are electronic components from circuit boards and deck cleats that I made myself.  The motor is made from copper sheeting soldered together and the trailer is primarily from brass tubing of various sorts.  It took a little over 300 hours to design and fabricate the parts and to get them all to work properly.  It was fun and educational and I think it looks really nice.Motor bracket partsMotor bracket partsCompleted motor bracketCompleted motor bracketBasic outboard planBasic outboard planhand made propellerhand made propellerSteering mechanismSteering mechanismHull veneerHull veneerLaying out ribsLaying out ribsTrailer frameTrailer frameFinished front viewFinished front viewFinished side viewFinished side viewFinished rear viewFinished rear view

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dave, Jumping in here regarding your note to Dremel-Victoria, you are doing nothing wrong! We are super happy that you migrated over from Maker Studio to our new community platform. There will be a campaign to add new members to the Dremel community starting in 2024 and we expect to eventually have an even larger, more active community than Maker Studio. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

DREMEL-VICTORIA
New Contributor

Wow, that looks great. It is so detailed and looks very authentic. 

Thanks for sharing your photos.😎

Hi Victoria - I spent quite a bit of time on the previous Dremel website and there were lots of others participating as well.  There seems to be no one here on the new website but me.  Is it something I am doing wrong?  Am I not posting to the proper location or searching in the right places for other creations?  Any guidance would be appreciated.  Dave

Hi Dave, Jumping in here regarding your note to Dremel-Victoria, you are doing nothing wrong! We are super happy that you migrated over from Maker Studio to our new community platform. There will be a campaign to add new members to the Dremel community starting in 2024 and we expect to eventually have an even larger, more active community than Maker Studio. 

Thank you John.  I suppose there will be a lag as this is the holiday season for new folks to join.  I sure hope they do.  This is a wonderful platform for posting, viewing and discussing projects, methods and tools.

DremelJohn
Community Manager
Community Manager

I agree. The community has more people on the Dremel side actively participating in the community than before and the new platform will allow us to add some technology that members will like. Admittedly it's been a slower start but it will be worth the wait!