cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toy Train For Grandson

Phrogflyer
Contributor

How many of you know Bill Engvall? He has a song titled, "Here's Your Sign"". It is fairly hilarious and somewhat truthful in certain circumstances. I can relate to a recent circumstance. I have been making a toy train for my grandson who is three. I thought one of those little wooden track types like some of us had when we were that young back in the stone ages. You can buy a box of track for hardly anything and I thought I would make a working locomotive from scratch. Well that small size proved to be too much for me and I had to buy a pre-made engine with a motor in it, but I made all the cars for it to pull. Once the cars were finished I decided to put the track together to make sure that everything worked properly. The box of track has 52 pieces and if I had taken the time to read it completely I would have noted that it clearly states on the box for ages 3 to 7. The box of track is packed so there is no unused space left in the box (a very efficient use of space). So I dump the box out on the floor and began trying to put it together. Did you notice my choice of words there? I spent 20 minutes with no luck at all. The parts all had the same ends and hardly anything would connect. I began thinking the parts were defective or that I got cheated by a cheap knock off. After another 20 minutes of grumbling and other select words the wife came over and asked what the problem was. I said these parts will not make a track, all the curves go the same way and cannot connect. She said why don't you turn them over to see if they are reversible. "Here's Your Sign!" See, if I had a sign, at my age they never would have sold me the track. Then to top it off it took another 20 minutes to get the track back into the box so I could close the lid. Also, here is a peek at the finished train in a gift box I made. I bought the wheels as an expedient, but made everything else using my Dremel rotary tool and Moto-Saw.   The Plan in PowerPointThe Plan in PowerPointPartial AssemblyPartial AssemblyPersonalized gift BoxPersonalized gift Boxhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iUqydOeWFA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jhorstke
New Contributor III

With my grandkids, it started with my grandson wanting a low heighth table for his toy matchbook cars, then my granddaughter wanted a miniture playhouse, then it was a new bed for grandson, then a floor to ceiling bookshelf.  Now both are all grown up on their own, and I am still building writing cabinets, plant stands, jewelry boxes......... Grandpas are always building because it gives both you and your grandchildren happyness and pleasure.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

traciej73
New Contributor III

That is awesome! I grew up watcing my dad build all sorts and scale model trains. He would take us along when there were "open house" days, or go to different train shops all over Houston. He passed in 2020. Thank you for helping me remember the fun Father/Daughter times!  

Sorry to hear of your loss, but keeping our loved ones in our hearts is the next best thing.  Glad you have fond memories to keep your love alive!  Keep posting, I love your work too.

Dremel-Peggy
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your gift will be treasured by your grandson for years.  Thanks to you, now I know who Bill Engvall is and "Here's Your Sign".  He's funny, I enjoy clean comedy.

Though I never did get much enjoyment from it, as I get older I really dislike hearing profane and off color comedy.  Bill Engval and Jeff Foxworthy have a great way to present humor without the obscenity.  As far as my grandson is concerned, this train I made was just the beginning.  I am currently designing him a large "legacy" (something as a keepsake) Circus Train from Maple, Walnut and Redwood.  Will share photos as I preogress.  I also have a 16 month old granddaughter that will need some grandpa projects too.

jhorstke
New Contributor III

Your train set is just plain great!  I grew up having a wooden trainset like you made.  It came from Germany at that time.  My sons grew up having a wood trainset that I bought from Marshalls Department Store.  I bought a trainset for my grandson that came from IKEA.  Those trainsets are wonderfull and excite a lot of imagination.  I really like the crain car.  Did you buy the wooden weels?  Your grandson is really going to enjoy his new train set.

Hey thanks for the compliment.  Yes I did buy the wheels from Amazon - 36 wheels and axels only $9).  They are just too hard for me to make with the tools I have and they sure are a lot quicker to install pre-made.

jhorstke
New Contributor III

With my grandkids, it started with my grandson wanting a low heighth table for his toy matchbook cars, then my granddaughter wanted a miniture playhouse, then it was a new bed for grandson, then a floor to ceiling bookshelf.  Now both are all grown up on their own, and I am still building writing cabinets, plant stands, jewelry boxes......... Grandpas are always building because it gives both you and your grandchildren happyness and pleasure.

Kids need more Grandpas that build them good toys and furniture.  You're making such good memories for your gandkids.