cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helicopter with Counter Rotating Blades

Phrogflyer
Contributor

Back in late December I began my latest project - a counter rotating bladed helicopter. It has been a significant project taking well over 200 hours. I finally finished it last night. It is made from lots of recycled parts including a Play Station controller, apple sauce packet caps, some sewing button caps, parts from a VCR and electronic circuit board parts to name a few. The hardest part was getting the gears to work with a motor to turn the rotors in opposite directions. I had designed the rotor shaft to turn a perpendicular shaft going back to the tail to turn the tail fans as well, but they were just too small to get the gears inside, so the fans just spin freely. The doors and back ramp open and close and the whole mechanism turns smoothly and quietly.  The tools used inclded my main go to Dremel 4300 Rotary Tool and Drill Press with a huge assortment of accessories.  I also used my Router Table, Moto Saw and Versa Tip torch for some soldering.Counter Rotating GearsCounter Rotating GearsVCR Motor InstalledVCR Motor InstalledFuselage Base CompleteFuselage Base CompleteRotor Blade HubsRotor Blade HubsGame Controller Seat PartsGame Controller Seat PartsFinished Seats & RadioFinished Seats & RadioTail Fan BladesTail Fan BladesFans in Apple Sauce CapsFans in Apple Sauce CapsFinished Tail Fan AssemblyFinished Tail Fan AssemblyGatling Gun PartsGatling Gun PartsFinished Ammo CanFinished Ammo CanGatling Gun SizeGatling Gun SizeLeft Side ViewLeft Side ViewLeft Rear ViewLeft Rear ViewRight Front ViewRight Front View

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

If this helps, I have heard there are several software options available that can help people reduce the size of their videos. Some popular choices include:
HandBrake
HandBrake is a free, open-source video transcoder that allows users to compress videos by adjusting various settings such as bitrate, resolution, and codec.
Online Video Compressor
There are also various online tools available that allow users to compress videos directly through their web browsers without the need to download or install any software. Websites like Clipchamp, Online UniConverter, and Clideo offer free online video compression services.

View solution in original post

Eli_Tennant
New Contributor

Wow, Phrogflyer! That is incredible!

I typically work with cardboard but have also spent a lot of time with high school competition robots and 3D printers. I am amazed that you were able to do so much with recycled parts and get the gears to move smoothly. I have attempted much simpler projects and given up even with the aid of a 3D printer.

You put that 4300 to use!

- Eli

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

DremelJohn
Community Manager
Community Manager

Amazing as usual! Is that a capacitor or ballast for the ammo can? I bet members would love to see video sometime too!

I just looked up some of the information from that part and it is a Polypropylene Film Capacitor.

Not sure how I knew that, but it looked like a capacitor for something.

Phrogflyer
Contributor

Thanks John - To be honest, I have no clue what the electronic parts are.  They sometimes just have the right shape and size for my need.  The top of the Ammo Can is a piece from the back of a disposable camera and that is where you would read how many pictures you had left on a roll.  I have a some video of the rotors turning and the doors, but no way to reduce it for posting.

If this helps, I have heard there are several software options available that can help people reduce the size of their videos. Some popular choices include:
HandBrake
HandBrake is a free, open-source video transcoder that allows users to compress videos by adjusting various settings such as bitrate, resolution, and codec.
Online Video Compressor
There are also various online tools available that allow users to compress videos directly through their web browsers without the need to download or install any software. Websites like Clipchamp, Online UniConverter, and Clideo offer free online video compression services.

Hi John I just shrunk the video down in an MP4 format, but the pafe put a video file into the system.

Another option is to create a YouTube account that is set to "private." Any video you post there will not go out to the world, but be kept private. However you can upload the URL to the video to post it in the community and members can see it there. 

Eli_Tennant
New Contributor

Wow, Phrogflyer! That is incredible!

I typically work with cardboard but have also spent a lot of time with high school competition robots and 3D printers. I am amazed that you were able to do so much with recycled parts and get the gears to move smoothly. I have attempted much simpler projects and given up even with the aid of a 3D printer.

You put that 4300 to use!

- Eli

I should also mention that getting gears to mesh in a free hand creation is a total challenge, so don't feel daunted, just keep trying.  You will ultimately get them to work smoothly.

Phrogflyer
Contributor

Thank you Eli. I tell people that these projects are like kits to me.  I need a part that looks like something and I dig into my box, bins and bags and there will be something of the size and shape I need already to go and I just have to put it on.  Maybe a little simplistic, but basically how it goes.  I will post and R2D2 shortly made from a flashlight.