cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Drill into a Solid Plastic Mah Jongg Tile

RedTees
New Contributor

Hello! I have a Dremel 3000. I want to drill a thin hole into a solid plastic Mah Jongg tile about 1/3" down so I can insert a metal Eye Pin Peg Bail thus turning the tile into a pendant. The accessories that came with my Dremel 3000 set don't seem to be the right ones. I'm happy to buy an accessory kit I just don't know which item I need so that I buy the right kit. Can you suggest something to do the trick? Thanks 🙂

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

DremelJohn
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi RedTees, 

I'm thinking the Dremel 150 drill bit or any bit found inside the 628 drill bit set can do this. Becuase the tile is plastic, burning or melting may be an issue, so I recommend a slower drill speed rather than faster speeds. Supporting the tool may help and when we have drilled dominoes in the past we use the Dremel WorkStation attachment as a drill press to controll the drilling process. You didn't mention the desired diameter of the hole you want. Our bits go up to 1/8' in high speed bits and up to 1/4" in bradpoint bits (part of the 631-01 set). You can also test your results on a scrap piece before you begin the actual project! Good Luck!

View solution in original post

Hello Dremel John! Thanks so much for your fabulous reply. I had no idea about the Dremel WorkStation and just ordered one! The WorkStation will be perfect for what I need to do. I'm not sure about the diameter until the Eye Pin Peg Bails arrive. I have a few spare tiles to test on before I drill the finished products. Thanks so much again! I really appreciate all your shared. It will help a lot. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

DremelJohn
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi RedTees, 

I'm thinking the Dremel 150 drill bit or any bit found inside the 628 drill bit set can do this. Becuase the tile is plastic, burning or melting may be an issue, so I recommend a slower drill speed rather than faster speeds. Supporting the tool may help and when we have drilled dominoes in the past we use the Dremel WorkStation attachment as a drill press to controll the drilling process. You didn't mention the desired diameter of the hole you want. Our bits go up to 1/8' in high speed bits and up to 1/4" in bradpoint bits (part of the 631-01 set). You can also test your results on a scrap piece before you begin the actual project! Good Luck!

Hello Dremel John! Thanks so much for your fabulous reply. I had no idea about the Dremel WorkStation and just ordered one! The WorkStation will be perfect for what I need to do. I'm not sure about the diameter until the Eye Pin Peg Bails arrive. I have a few spare tiles to test on before I drill the finished products. Thanks so much again! I really appreciate all your shared. It will help a lot.