cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workshop Ventilation

redcedar
New Contributor

I'm not sure if this is the correct location to post this but here goes.

What are people using for ensuring a clean working environment specifically, how are you handling the dust the dremel produces when carving wood or other natural materials such as stone or sea shells?

And, I'm glad this community exists as I've found it hard to get general info as well as how-to type questions.

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MezzanineBrown
New Contributor

So an appropriate ventilation strategy for any workspace is determined by three main factors in my NON professional opinion: A)the EXACT materials that are the source of the dust/particulate matter B) the amount of time you spend exposed to said dust/matter and C)practical constraints such as budget, space, effort, etc. I would investigate each aspect in this sequence.

I would caution you to not assume that natural materials are either inherntly safer or all the same in terms of their needs to be made more safe. In fact safety protocols vary wildly between different species of wood even. Think about how some plants or mushrooms can be nutritious and others deadly. 

So the first part. The second, length of exposure, is important too though because while I am working with all the same stuff as always, I probably need to upgrade my air filtration because the amount of time i spend breathing in my workspace has increased. 

I currently use a shopvac with with a homemade cyclone separator for dust collection and frequently wear a respirator mask with whatever filter corresponds to the noxious fumes and fine particles du jour. I do not have an air filtration system however I do have very large windows that I can leave open most of the time pretty much year round so beaucoup fresh air. Still, I should probably add some better air filtration to achieve the general air quality/safety standard of having all the air in my space replaced twice per hour all the time I am in it regardless of whether or not my windows are open at the time. So....there is always work to be done on ventilation. 

As a medical professional I can give my professional opinion that breathing is super important and we should consistently take all measures available to us to protect our ability to do so for a long time. I stress consistency because this is the place where i find it is easiest to undermine ourselves. 

Hope this was helpful and never underestimate the power an open window.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

MezzanineBrown
New Contributor

So an appropriate ventilation strategy for any workspace is determined by three main factors in my NON professional opinion: A)the EXACT materials that are the source of the dust/particulate matter B) the amount of time you spend exposed to said dust/matter and C)practical constraints such as budget, space, effort, etc. I would investigate each aspect in this sequence.

I would caution you to not assume that natural materials are either inherntly safer or all the same in terms of their needs to be made more safe. In fact safety protocols vary wildly between different species of wood even. Think about how some plants or mushrooms can be nutritious and others deadly. 

So the first part. The second, length of exposure, is important too though because while I am working with all the same stuff as always, I probably need to upgrade my air filtration because the amount of time i spend breathing in my workspace has increased. 

I currently use a shopvac with with a homemade cyclone separator for dust collection and frequently wear a respirator mask with whatever filter corresponds to the noxious fumes and fine particles du jour. I do not have an air filtration system however I do have very large windows that I can leave open most of the time pretty much year round so beaucoup fresh air. Still, I should probably add some better air filtration to achieve the general air quality/safety standard of having all the air in my space replaced twice per hour all the time I am in it regardless of whether or not my windows are open at the time. So....there is always work to be done on ventilation. 

As a medical professional I can give my professional opinion that breathing is super important and we should consistently take all measures available to us to protect our ability to do so for a long time. I stress consistency because this is the place where i find it is easiest to undermine ourselves. 

Hope this was helpful and never underestimate the power an open window.

Thank you @MezzanineBrown . I am in the process of looking for a new home so this is something I'll keep in mind. Ultimately, I would have a detached workshop from the home which would enable safer overall environment for all. Ideally I'll have enough windows but would plan on having some sort of air filtration and movement. 

I do like cedar but it is one of the worst species of wood from a health perspective. At the moment my plan is to continue carving with hand tools but as I do have my Dremels and have used them the amount of dust created (by any power tool) can be significant and not worth the risk. I would like to do more with my Dremels and when I get settled I'll leverage your input further.  

I was wondering what folks are using besides just a mask and maybe a shop-vac+ or overhead filtration.