cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glass etching

traciej73
New Contributor III

I etched my spice jars, and one i keep glitter in! I mostly used my Stylo+ with diamond bits. I can't find the video that shows this. They aren't perfect, but I'm proud! 

IMG_20240227_173559996_HDR~2.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

Dremel-Peggy
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's a great idea to etch the name of the spice on the jar.  Now, I need to that organized. 

Phrogflyer
Contributor

So I have a question, does the vibration ever crack the glass as you etch?  I made my folks a 25th anniversary cut glass box one year.  I used shelf paper and stuck it to the glass then drew the images I wanted and cut them out with an X-acto knife.  Then I used glass acid etch to create the images.  It came out great, but took a lot of time.

I'm sure if the glass is thin enough, the tool vibration could crack it.  To be safe, we suggest wearing protective gloves and eyewear while working with glass.  If the glass is thin, tape cardboard to the back of the glass to help absorb some of the vibration that is created from the etching. 

traciej73
New Contributor III

So far I have not had any problems, knock on wood. I print out my design and i use those purple dissapearing, washable glue sticks to stick it to the inside. When i'm done I just take it out/off and wash it out. I've done vases the other night i did a mirror on a wooden box, I did this for my mom, it's dragon eyes, and it's pretty thin. I make sure I'm wearing safety glasses and at gloves, it is a fine dust. I never thought about the vibrations at all. I do stuff towels or some type of cloth in it, if I can, just because of the noise it makes, or I have it laying on a towel. I'll post a picture of one of the first vases I did too. 

traciej73
New Contributor III

well I forgot to attatch the photo! Here it is.ImgResizer_20240228_1856_07941.jpg

traciej73
New Contributor III

Here's a mirror on a wooden box I did the other night. I used a stencil for that one, or I use carbon paper to trace the image. I use my Stylp+ for etching. The size and weight is perfect. I have tried with with my multi flex, I have a hard time with the way I bend my wrist when I etch. Look who had to photo bomb! Mr 8220! He was sanding something and needs to be cleaned up! This vase was one of the first I did. I painted the gemini devil/angel but I could never get the white to look as smooth as the red did. I did one for my Mom for Mother's day where I etched a lot of words on it , then filled it with different colored sand. I'll get her to send me pictures so I can share them. look who photo bombed!look who photo bombed!

IMG_20240228_190844008_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240228_182838727_BURST000_COVER~2.jpg

IMG_20240228_183055631_HDR.jpg

Beautiful work.  I love etched glass images - they just look classy to me.

traciej73
New Contributor III

Thank you!