cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dremel flexi-shaft kept attached and in box

MonsterMaker60
New Contributor

Hello,

Can anyone please advise me on storing the flexi-shaft permanently fixed to the main body drive? I have attached some images of the way I am presently storing the my Dremel 3000 in the case it came in with some partitions removed so that I can coil the extension shaft in still attached to the main body. I do not want to leave it out in my cellar workshop because there is slight damp ambience which I feel may affect the life of the tool.

I found it difficult to remove the inner greasy cable from the collett of the main body and collar so I have decided to keep it on and coiled gently in the box it came in. Please advise, looking at the photos if it is fine stored this way.

 T

20240411_084214.jpg

Thanks,

Martino

3 REPLIES 3

DremelJohn
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi MonsterMaker60, 

A couple of comments. You should be fine storing your flex shaft on the tool for long durations. I see that you have not tightly confined the radius of the flex shaft cable in storage so that is good. You want to avoid storing the shaft cable wound in too tight of a circle so as to prevent kinking the cable. We suggest that upon removing the tool from storage you hold the tool and let the flex shaft hang in a verticle position while running the tool for one minute. This will allow the cable to "work out the kinks" after being stored.

I can't tell for sure, but your comment about it being difficult to remove the inner cable from the collet of the main body is concerning. As before, I'm not sure, but is the inner cable attached to the tool using a collet and collet nut? We have see this happen. If so, this is incorrect. There is a special drive nut needed to attach the inner cable to the tool. This will make removing the cable from the tool easy as it should not be a difficult task. 

I've added a link to a video on attachment of the Flex Shaft to a rotary tool. I hope this information helps you out. -John

MonsterMaker60
New Contributor

Hello DremelJohn,

Thanks for your answer and sorry about the delay in acknowledging, I had login trouble. Yes,

I'll continue to keep the Dremel tool with flexishaft attached in the box then, it's less vulnerable

and exposed to damage and the slightly damp atmosphere. Yes, I assembled to shaft to the main tool body no problem, as I am very familiar with the identical collett and nut set-up on similar rotary tools and everything is working beautifully. It's just that I wanted to see if I could reverse the assembly in case of any instance where I need to separate the shaft for some reason but there seems to be nothing to hold on to the inner cable while loosening the nut and collett. So, to minimise any unnecessary forcing, I decided just to keep it on as it is permanently and I put it back in the box minus the extra shelf so that everything could coil in gently and freely.

Martino

DremelJohn
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks Martino, If you ever want to take the flex shaft off of the rool and need support, feel free to call contact Dremel customer service and they can assit you while you do it. You can contact them here: https://www.dremel.com/us/en/service-and-support