cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wood Carving with Dremel Rotery

johnbaker
New Contributor II

Hi, anyone out there that has experience carving wood with a Dremel Rotery tool?

Please add:  Wood species, Bits used, Technique, etc

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jhorstke
New Contributor III

Hi johnbaker, I have done a number of carvings with my Dremel Rotary tools.  I work between my favorite 4300 with a flex shaft, my 8360 and Stylo.  I have found that for roughing out a shape that an aggressive spoked burr works best, I follow up with both Dremel bits, and carbide bits I have purchased on line.  For detail I use my Stylo with dental drills.  I like working with hardwoods best, as that's where rotary tools really shine, so walnut, maple, mertle wood, cherry.  Anything that's dense. I really don't have any special techniques that I use, it's just carve away until the shape appears.  I think you did a really great job on that table you created!

View solution in original post

johnbaker
New Contributor II

Hi, Thanks for the reply.  Like you I use a 4300 with flex shaft and various burrs to create the carving I am after.  I have found patterns I like and have them enlarged and printed on paper in actual size.  Then I glue the paper to the stock I am going to carve, using the image as my guide.  Once the carving is done I remove the paper.  I have found the Kutzall burrs very helpful as well.

Dremel-Peggy
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi johnbaker and jhorstke,

Thanks for your comments on woodworking! 😃

7 REPLIES 7

Dremel-Peggy
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the post johnbaker.  Come on all you woodcarvers, continue the conversation here! 

johnbaker
New Contributor II

This is an example of something I have completed.Poppy Table.jpg

Dremel-Peggy
Community Manager
Community Manager

Beautiful table, nice work johnbaker. 

jhorstke
New Contributor III

Hi johnbaker, I have done a number of carvings with my Dremel Rotary tools.  I work between my favorite 4300 with a flex shaft, my 8360 and Stylo.  I have found that for roughing out a shape that an aggressive spoked burr works best, I follow up with both Dremel bits, and carbide bits I have purchased on line.  For detail I use my Stylo with dental drills.  I like working with hardwoods best, as that's where rotary tools really shine, so walnut, maple, mertle wood, cherry.  Anything that's dense. I really don't have any special techniques that I use, it's just carve away until the shape appears.  I think you did a really great job on that table you created!

johnbaker
New Contributor II

Hi, Thanks for the reply.  Like you I use a 4300 with flex shaft and various burrs to create the carving I am after.  I have found patterns I like and have them enlarged and printed on paper in actual size.  Then I glue the paper to the stock I am going to carve, using the image as my guide.  Once the carving is done I remove the paper.  I have found the Kutzall burrs very helpful as well.

Dremel-Peggy
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi johnbaker and jhorstke,

Thanks for your comments on woodworking! 😃

lanadwodny0921
New Contributor

Thank's to all for the useful info. I'm just getting started on using the Dremel + flexshaft for carving wood.